Skip to main content

Employment & Money

We came to New Zealand with enough money to see us right for several months. My husband had freelancing work, several 'webinars' scheduled and possible royalty payments. Financially we were ok, enough where I didn't need to get a job myself.

I was caregiver for my Aunty for the last 4 months of her life. I had gone unpaid up until the last 3 weeks of her life. I felt obliged to do it, getting paid for someone who had raised me all those years was something I couldn't fathom, but as we neared the ending of her life we also neared the end of our stable financial situation.

Webinars were postponed or canceled. The royalty payments were inconsistent and work was getting slow because my husband was almost always sick.

I decided it was time to do something with my photography education here in NZ. I had years of experience and knowledge just to move home and do nothing with it. Post-Aunty's death, I now had all the time in the world to do something with it and I ran alot of scenarios in my mind about the best way to do this, but we didn't have the money to blow $5000 on a complete studio. I had the space, just not the equipment.

I crossed it from my mind in November when we found out about my husbands health. They told him he needed a kidney biopsy that would cost around $2000, because he was a non-resident. Then his eye sight began to deteriorate and his ability to work was slowing down. He suspected cataracts, which is a $5000 NZD surgery for ONE eye. We didn't have that kind of money. We were living within our means and a biopsy and cataract surgery was not on our money map.

In January my husband lost his appetite for everything that was delicious and normal. He only wanted fruit. He could only stomach fruit. His initial blood pressure reading told us that he was a walking corpse. Something like 290/110. His cocktail of prescription drugs began in January.

By April 2010, our financial situation was still the same. We still hadn't done the kidney biopsy and my husband had lost a little over 110lbs - in 4 months.

Things were beyond dire.


Popular posts from this blog

Super Moon, Te Mata and Ariel.

Last nights Super Moon. Te Mata Peak. Safe to say, Hubbalush loves her Ariel. She's my favorite big sister Mum. (Shame Tyler, Shai, Nessa and Rome) Goodnight Hawkes Bay. Earthquake: I felt it. I got my child up and ran outside onto my concrete porch where I thought it would be safest. The Seismologist on the news the next day said running outside is not a good idea in the event of an Earthquake. Now I know for next time. Hawkes Bay didn't feel the effects of it like Southland did .. and is continuing to do. Over 1000 aftershocks since it all began. Tyler is stuck on the South Island and finishing out their tour, much to my dismay. It's a disaster zone in parts down there and although she's on the skirts of the danger zones, you'd think it professional AND safe to cancel the tour and bring the troop home .. but no. Some stupid doesn't think so. Goodnight.

Kawe Mate.

Recently an Aunty of mine, who is staunch in her Maori culture, talked to me about the protocol of Kawe Mate. Kawe Mate is a custom during the maori process of death that involves taking the deceased memory back to where they were well known or considered home. It's a custom that is basically a gesture of love to family members who weren't able to attend the tangi. My family never practised it at all and I don't think it's necessary to start. I carry his memory in my heart, as does his Mom, that's all that matters. Happy Mothers Day!